TIP: For a quick gravy, drain pan juices from the roasting pan. Using a fat separator, remove fat. Remove garlic and shallots from the cavity and mash using a fork. In a small saucepan combine strained pan juices, garlic-shallot mash, herbs and broth. Heat to a gentle simmer. Combine cornstarch with milk and add to gravy. Let boil until thickened.
- Make sure the turkey is thawed and the giblets have been removed.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (177ºC).
- Pat the turkey dry with paper towels.
- Rub the turkey with half the olive oil, inside and out.
- Combine half of the fresh herbs and butter. Rub the herb-butter mixture generously underneath the skin and over the breast on both sides.
- Combine the rest of the olive oil, herbs, garlic and shallots. Stuff the cavity with the mixture. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the turkey into your roasting pan. Add the turkey broth and wine.
- Roast the turkey for 3 ½ - 4 ½ hours or until the juices run clear and an instant thermometer reads 180°F (82°C) in the thickest part of the thigh.
- Remove the turkey from the oven and let it rest for 20 minutes before carving.
: Cooking times are for planning purposes only – always use a digital meat thermometer to determine doneness.