TIP: This recipe makes a large quantity perfect for batch cooking. You can make it ahead, re-heat half for a weeknight meal and then freeze the other half for a quick weeknight dinner or weekend lunch later on.
- Heat olive oil in a medium size frying pan over medium heat.
- Add onions and carrots and sauté for 4-6 minutes until softened and just beginning to brown.
- Add celery and crushed garlic. Cook 4-6 minutes.
- Add ground turkey, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook an additional 7-10 minutes, until turkey is cooked through and is no longer pink. Mix to break up any larger chunks.
- Add tomato puree.
- Add turkey broth.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add barley. Lower heat to a simmer and cook for 35-45 minutes until barley is cooked.
- Add 2 cups frozen vegetables. Quality frozen veg will help cut down on prep time. If using fresh vegetables, extend cooking time until cooked through.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes until vegetables are cooked through.