- Preheat the oven to 375oF (175oC). Generously butter a 12-cup (3 L) casserole dish.
- In a large heavy-bottomed skillet set over medium-high heat, fry the pancetta until crisp and browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to large bowl.
- Add the butter to the skillet. Once the butter is melted and foamy, add the celery, leek, garlic and sage, and sauté for 7-10 minutes or until the vegetables are soft and translucent. Season with salt and pepper.
- Scrape the vegetables into the bowl with the pancetta, and stir in the rye bread, prunes and parsley. Add the broth and egg, and stir until evenly combined.
- Spoon the stuffing into the prepared dish, and cover loosely with foil. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for 10-15 minutes longer or until the top is well browned. Serve immediately.
Note: If your bread is very soft and fresh, arrange the cubes on a baking sheet and bake at 300o
C) for 25-30 minutes or until dry and toasted. Set aside to cool.