TIP: This dish works well with leftover turkey too. Just substitute the sausage for some cubed or shredded turkey breast or thighs for an equally delicious pasta dish.
- Season tomatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Broil in the oven on the middle rack for 8 – 12 minutes until soft and lightly browned.
- Bring 8 cups water to boil; add salt.
- Add pasta and follow package instructions. Cook until al dente.
- Very important: reserve 1 cup pasta water and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, heat ½ tbsp olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Remove casing from sausage and break up into 1-inch pieces. Add to pan and cook until browned and cooked through.
- Add anchovies and garlic and cook until anchovies dissolve and garlic is cooked through, 2-3 minutes.
- Add roasted tomatoes.
- Add olives and capers.
- Remove from heat.
- Add pasta directly to saucepan.
- Add ½ cup of the reserved pasta water and toss.
- Add fresh basil, hot pepper flakes and ½ tsp olive oil.
- Add up to ½ cup of additional pasta water, a little at a time, if pasta begins to dry out.
- Garnish with parmesan cheese and serve immediately.