Tip: Feel free to add any leftover veggies to the rice before you cook it like carrots, cauliflower, kale or mushrooms. Plan for some leftovers! This pilaf makes a great lunch the next day. Just drizzle with some olive oil or salad dressing and serve at room temperature.
- Cut thighs into large size chunks. Season with salt, pepper, cayenne and paprika.
- Sear in a medium size non-stick frying pan over high heat until browned on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Remove sausage from casings and crumble or cut into chunks. Cook over medium heat until cooked through, 4-6 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Heat vegetable oil. Sauté onions and celery, until cooked through and translucent, 3-5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Add white wine and turkey broth. Add saffron and let simmer for 1 minute.
- Add water, rice, salt to taste, turmeric and peppers. Add turkey. Bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and let cook for 15-20 minutes until liquid is absorbed and rice is cooked through. Remove from heat and let sit for an additional 10 minutes.
- Fluff rice. Top with olives, peas, capers and lemon zest.
- Serve immediately.