₁This may be the most important step to grilling! So many people skip this step, or don’t let it preheat long enough. This single step is what heats up the grill grates and allows the food to be flipped without sticking. DON’T RUSH THE PREHEAT! ₂This is such an easy BBQ hack! These double cheeseburgers are nice and thin to be able to be stacked up with oozy cheese in the middle (um…YUM!), so sticking them in the freezer makes for fool-proof grill flipping!
- Start by preheating your grill to medium high heat for 10-15 minutes. In a small bowl, combine the oats and buttermilk, and stir. Allow oats to soak up all the buttermilk for about 5 minutes.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add oat mixture to ground turkey, along with the breadcrumbs, egg, Worcestershire sauce, and all spices.
- Form into 8 very thin patties, and place patties on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Place cookie sheet in the freezer for 15-20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine mayo with mustard, honey and pepper, and allow the flavors to meld in the fridge until serving.
- Cook tater tots according to package instructions. Set aside for serving.
- Brush onion slices with olive oil. Remove patties from freezer, and grill for approximately 4 minutes a side, flipping once, until an internal temperature of 180 degrees F is reached. Place cheese on four of the patties, and top with the remaining patties. Set aside to rest, uncovered.
- To plate the burgers, start by toasting the buns on the grill. Spread a little of the mayo on the bottom bun, followed by a crisp piece of green leaf lettuce. Then goes the burgers, the grilled onions, the tater tots, and even more of that luscious mayo. Top with the top of the bun and get ready to be in burger heaven!