This Mexican-themed salad is light on fat and labour. Lime-infused sour cream and tangy salsa replace the heavy, traditional mayonnaise dressing. The spicy, tequila-marinated turkey can be prepped in minutes then left to marinate while you work or sleep. The whole salad comes together in less time than it takes the turkey to cook, making it perfect for the mid-week rush.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, garlic, tequila, honey and chipotle powder.
- Place the turkey breast on a cutting board and pierce all over with a poultry skewer. Flip the breast over and pierce again. This helps the marinade penetrate more deeply.
- Place the turkey in a large re-sealable plastic bag. Pour the marinade over the turkey, seal and shake to coat well. Refrigerate for 4 to 8 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Line a rimmed pan with parchment.
- Place the turkey breast on the pan, brush generously with marinade. Discard the remaining marinade.
- Cook for 25 to 35 minutes or until the turkey’s internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C).
- If you want the optional grill marks, heat an indoor grill in the last 10 minutes, then grill the fully cooked turkey for 2 to 3 minutes for colour.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing across the grain.
- Meanwhile, heat a dry cast-iron or stainless steel frying pan on medium-high.
- Once the pan is hot, add the corn kernels and stir constantly until lightly charred.
- In a medium bowl, toss the corn with the black beans until combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream or Greek yogurt, lime juice, lime zest, garlic and salt.
- Distribute the salad greens evenly between 4 bowls.
- Sprinkle with corn-bean mixture.
- Place slices of turkey breast and avocado on top.
- Add a generous dollop of lime sour cream and salsa, then sprinkle with cilantro leaves.
- Finish with a generous grinding of black pepper.